Carry each other"s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

Women of Worship is a group of men and women with a desire to express love for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We hunger for God's word, support one another in prayer and desire a closer relationship with Him.

Heather and I feel that God has put a genuine desire in our hearts to share His word with people. This blog is our attempt to get the Word of God to our friends in a practical and loving way. We are hoping to create a community of people that strengthen one another for the Kingdom of God. No matter where you are in your walk you are welcome here. Please feel free to share prayer requests, opinions, questions or anything that you feel led to say.

Monday, December 7, 2009

Tax Collector

Reputation, such a hurdle that we all must jump over. All of the assumptions and all of the ideas that come from one title.

Luke 19:1Jesus entered Jericho and was passing through. 2A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus; he was a chief tax collector and was wealthy.


It seems here that Luke wanted us to understand the type of man Zacchaeus was. Calling him a tax collector tells us he was a traitor to the Jewish people and working for Rome. He also adds, wealthy....making sure we understand that Zacchaeus probably wasn't an honest or noble man. Maybe, just maybe, he had a reputation for gouging his fellow Jews.

It can be so difficult to overcome who we are. The flaws of our character so evident. Or, if not evident, so hidden that we ourselves can't admit of our wrongs. I can't say that I carry a title as hefty as Tax Collector for everyone to know immediately what I am. But, I have a few. You could call me a lier, a gossip, a cheat, self-absorbed, snobby. This would be just the beginning of a long list of my sinful nature.

I must echo the words that Paul utters to Timothy:

1 Timothy 1:14 The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

15Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 16But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life.

Thank you Father, that in spite of who I am, You sent your son to die for me. I am humbled to know your gracious love.

No comments: