Carry each other"s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

Women of Worship is a group of men and women with a desire to express love for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We hunger for God's word, support one another in prayer and desire a closer relationship with Him.

Heather and I feel that God has put a genuine desire in our hearts to share His word with people. This blog is our attempt to get the Word of God to our friends in a practical and loving way. We are hoping to create a community of people that strengthen one another for the Kingdom of God. No matter where you are in your walk you are welcome here. Please feel free to share prayer requests, opinions, questions or anything that you feel led to say.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Love, Day 3

There are so many forms and yet one simple word.

After having my first child, I think I started to understand what it truly meant to love. Up to that point every form of love that I had was not unconditional. From the moment I saw Madi's face, I loved her. Actually, if you want to be technical, it was from the moment I new we were pregnant. The responsibility of loving another was overwhelming. Understanding that she required everything from me. She could not do it on her own.

I think that is a small taste of how God loves us. "Papa." He loves you with all of the responsibility and understanding that comes from parenting.

Madi turns 9 this week. She has grown so fast. She still needs me but sometimes doesn't say it. Even at 9 she is finding her independence separate from me. My heart hurts when she hurts, even though I want to hold her close I now have to wait for her to ask. How many times has God waited for me to ask for His comfort?

There is a part of God's love that is hard for me to give to people I love. The unconditional kind. Even with Madi there are boundaries. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I am human and will trust that I am not the only one that struggles with this. I talk to my children about grace all of the time, but give very little. I can be a very, well, "get your stuff done and then you can have my time and attention" kind of parent. Don't get it done and you will get an earful and a cold shoulder. I do my best to lighten up a bit but I have a very "get it done" attitude. Sometimes I can't see beyond the to-do's to the things that need real nurturing in our lives. Yes, laundry needs to be done but at what sacrifice to relationship?

I am so thankful that our God is more merciful then that. Asking me to abide (rest) in Him so that I may know His love. No to-do's first. Just resting. When I come home (in prayer), I rest, then respond to that Love by serving. His focus is on reward, not punishment.

1 John 4:13-19
By this we know that we abide in Him and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit.
We have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son to be the Savior of the world.
Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God.
We have come to know and have believed the love which God has for us God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him.
By this, love is perfected with us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world.
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.
We love, because He first loved us.


Heavenly Father~ WOW!! Lord, you are so amazing. I am overcome with thoughts of how you love me. Lord, I need to know how to love. I want to Love my children first. Be my guide, Father. Show me the ways to love my family. I desire to be a vessel for your Love. I want to put my requirements and my judgements aside so that I can Love as you Love. ~In Your Precious Name.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so nice to hear someone else admit their imperfect mom stuff - I am so right there with you Ang in wanting to grow and be a vessel for his love - especially to my kids. Thank you for your honesty and for this wonderful reading today. Love you! - K

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful reminder. This week I've sort of forgotten to turn to the Lord with my problems. I've asked all my friends for prayer, but I hadn't really done so myself.

Praise report: dad is heaing well, may get to move to rehabilitation tomorrow. He continues to gain his strenghth. Thanks to all my sisters in Christ for your love and support during this difficult time.

Linda