Carry each other"s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. Galatians 6:2

Women of Worship is a group of men and women with a desire to express love for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. We hunger for God's word, support one another in prayer and desire a closer relationship with Him.

Heather and I feel that God has put a genuine desire in our hearts to share His word with people. This blog is our attempt to get the Word of God to our friends in a practical and loving way. We are hoping to create a community of people that strengthen one another for the Kingdom of God. No matter where you are in your walk you are welcome here. Please feel free to share prayer requests, opinions, questions or anything that you feel led to say.

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Yokefellow: Barnabas

Yokefellow: Barnabas
by Heather Collver

Do you know someone who is always there to encourage you? Is that someone one of the first that you will go to when you need to share? Yesterday, we learned that Luke was there for Paul, being sure to document history every step of the way, he had a desire to serve the people. He was Paul's Companion.

Barnabas was also Paul's companion. He fulfilled a need in Paul's life that Luke did not. Barnabas was an encourager and a mentor to Paul. The Bible shows us that Barnabas sold his belongings and gave his money to the Jerusalem apostles.

Acts 13:1 - 15:41 click here for the entire passage. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts%2013:1%20-%2015:41&version=NIV

Barnabas was the leader of the church at Antioch. His name was repeatedly written first before Paul's (Saul). It wasn't until Paul changed his name from Saul to Paul that his name came before Barnabas, indicating that he was now leading the church. Later, the two separated and went their own ways when Barnabas disagreed with Paul to leave John Mark behind on a missionary journey.

I have a few Barnabas in my life. Those who encourage me to be a better person. I try to be a Barnabas at times as well, but it isn't my strongest gift. Many times I don't feel that I am qualified to encourage some of the people in my life. I had a Barnabas in my life that was there for a season. She was a breath of fresh air during my first experiences as a Christian. She encouraged me in so many ways that my heart is overwhelmed with gratitude. She helped me dig my roots deep so that I was founded on God's word and then she moved on. It was one of the most difficult seasons in my life, to separate from the one that taught me so much. But when the wounds healed, I realized that I was stronger than I thought and that I was not giving my all to God, I was stopping short.

Dear Lord, I pray that we will all strive to be encouragers. I know that if we have children, we are already part of the big picture of encouragement. Please guide us in our relationships so that we will encourage, but not block the view so that others can fully be in relationship with you. I pray also that we find encouraging people in our lives so that we are effective in serving you.

Please pray today for those who you tend to encourage and for those that encourage you.

No comments: